Hello! We are online right now 10:24:15

The support team is online and will be able to answer your inquiries. Please stay calm, follow the rules and do not cross post. We'll attend to you as soon as we can.

Official support hours are from 8:30AM — 5:00PM Monday to Saturday (GMT +7)

GDPR and IP collection

Panos
Hi.
GDPR will be enforced next month across the EU, with very strict requirements regarding the collection of personal information. The Internet Protocol addresses are now considered personal info. There's a very useful rule: don't collect any personal information if you don't need it.
My question is:
How do we stop IP recording when a user posts a comment or a review?
Thank you very much.

11 replies

JLexArt
Hi,
By disabling IP address, some feature will work "not good" for guest, example: voting, limit posting...etc. Do you sure want to turn off it?
Panos
Hi. On my case I accept votes and comments only from registered users who are logged in.
So, yes, I would definitely prefer to turn off IP tracking, since guests are excluded. How can this be done?
@JLexArt is wrote at 2018-04-18 09:27:37
Hi, By disabling IP address, some feature will work "not good" for guest, example: voting, limit posting...etc. Do you sure want to turn off it?
JLexArt
Hi,
Please open file administrator/components/com_jlexreview/libs/helper.php
Find phrase:
In line 185, you will see:
public static function ip_address()
{
}

Now, modify it to:
public static function ip_address()
{
return '0.0.0.0';
}

Hope can help you!
@Panos is wrote at 2018-04-18 09:31:43
Hi. On my case I accept votes and comments only from registered users who are logged in. So, yes, I would definitely prefer to turn off IP tracking, since guests are excluded. How can this be done?
Panos
Thanks for the quick reply. I just made the change.
One question: will this change stop the collection of the IPs of registered users also? This is essential too.
@JLexArt is wrote at 2018-04-18 09:38:37
Hi, Please open file [b]administrator/components/com_jlexreview/libs/helper.php[/b] Find phrase: In line 185, you will see: [code]public static function ip_address() { ... }[/code] Now, modify it to: [code]public static function ip_address() { return '0.0.0.0'; }[/code] Hope can help you!
JLexArt
Yes, this code apply for both (guest & member) :).
@Panos is wrote at 2018-04-18 09:44:35
Thanks for the quick reply. I just made the change. One question: will this change stop the collection of the IPs of registered users also? This is essential too.
Panos
It works great, thank you very much!

One last question:
I've deleted many registered users records in the site backend (those users that haven't visited the site for a very long time). I noticed that these userIDs were not removed from the table j25_jlexreview_users. How can we do this?
Thanks in advance.
@JLexArt is wrote at 2018-04-18 09:45:21
Yes, this code apply for both (guest & member) :).
JLexArt
Hi,
At the weekend, I will release plugin to sync user between joomla & jlex review :).
@Panos is wrote at 2018-04-18 15:26:30
It works great, thank you very much! One last question: I've deleted many registered users records in the site backend (those users that haven't visited the site for a very long time). I noticed that these [b]userIDs[/b] were not removed from the table [b]j25_jlexreview_users[/b]. How can we do this? Thanks in advance.
Panos
Thank you very much!
@JLexArt is wrote at 2018-04-19 08:23:33
Hi, At the weekend, I will release plugin to sync user between joomla & jlex review :).
JLexArt
Hi,
You can download plugin at here: https://www.jlexart.com/documentation/jlex-review-integration . Name of plugin is User - JLex Review plugin :)
@Panos is wrote at 2018-04-19 14:33:02
Thank you very much!
Panos
Thanks.
FYI:
I installed the plugin, I clicked the 'Sync Users' button and I saved it. Then I checked the number of users in the j25_jlexreview_users table. The first time I clicked the 'Sync Users' button, the number dropped, but it was still much bigger than the number of my registered users. I had to click the 'Sync Users' button three times to make the number of users in the j25_jlexreview_users table come close to the number of users. Thanks.
@JLexArt is wrote at 2018-04-21 07:46:06
Hi, You can download plugin at here: https://www.jlexart.com/documentation/jlex-review-integration . Name of plugin is User - JLex Review plugin :)
Reply to

Sign in to your account

Use your social accounts to sign in