Hello! We are online right now 15:43:33

The support team is online and will be able to answer your inquiries. Please stay calm, follow the rules and do not cross post. We'll attend to you as soon as we can.

Official support hours are from 8:30AM — 5:00PM Monday to Saturday (GMT +7)

Improvements to Combat Spam & Bad Users

AndySDH
Hello,

Since I'm having some bad users being annoying on my site, I thought of a few ideas to improve the current system to combat spam and bad users:

1. Allow blocking by IP Range
At the moment it's only possible to block IPs one by one, with the full IP. However, many users have variable IPs, so that makes the blocking by IP not effective. 
It would be great if you could add the ability to block an IP by the whole IP range, for example by simply allowing to put an asterisk in the block list:
195.216.230.*
So with the asterisk, all IPs starting with that range will be blocked.

2. Automatically Unpublish Comments after X Reports or Y Downvotes
This would help automatically hiding bad comments. So when a comments reaches a X amount of Report Count, or a Y amount of Downvotes, it will be automatically considered spam and automatically unpublished.
Maybe you could have 2 settings for this to determine how many Reports or Downvotes a comment needs before becoming unpublished.
Even Google suggests this: "One option is to temporarily remove a post that has crossed a threshold of spam reports until it has been manually reviewed."

3. Backend Comments Manager: Filter/Order by Reported Comments
It would be great if you could add the ability in the "Comments Manager" to filter by Reported Comments (where Report Count > 1), or to at least order by "Report Count". This will make it easier to find Reported Comments, to select them all and delete them.

4. Backend Comments Manager: Filter by Author / IP
It would be great if you could add the ability in the "Comments Manager" to filter comments by Author (User or Guest) and by IP. This will make it easier to find all comments by a certain author or a certain IP, to select them all and delete them. 
The filter could be done by simply clicking on the Author name or by clicking on the IP (under the "Details" column). Make the Author and IP address clickable :)

Let me know what you think about these improvements and if you can implement them.

Thanks!

11 replies

JLexArt
@Andy: Yes, it's just work for last segment.

Best regards,
Victor Nguyen.
@AndySDH is wrote at 2021-09-25 07:06:16
Hello, I wanted to report that the ban by IP range with the * doesn't work well. It seems to work only for the last segment of the IP If the IP is this: 39.42.147.240 And you want to ban the whole IP range: 39.42.147.* => This will work (with the dot) 39.42.147 => This will [u]not[/u] work (without the dot) 39.42.* => This will [u]not[/u] work Can you look into it? Thanks!
Reply to

Sign in to your account

Use your social accounts to sign in