Zen mode 19:06:16

It is currently our zen mode where we get some rest so that we can come back to work feeling refreshed the next day and assist you with your issues. Some answers may already be available on our documentation.

Official support hours are from 8:30AM — 5:00PM Monday to Saturday (GMT +7)

Updates: Release JLex Review v6.1.7 🥳

Improvements to Combat Spam & Bad Users

AndySDH
Hello,

Since I'm having some bad users being annoying on my site, I thought of a few ideas to improve the current system to combat spam and bad users:

1. Allow blocking by IP Range
At the moment it's only possible to block IPs one by one, with the full IP. However, many users have variable IPs, so that makes the blocking by IP not effective. 
It would be great if you could add the ability to block an IP by the whole IP range, for example by simply allowing to put an asterisk in the block list:
195.216.230.*
So with the asterisk, all IPs starting with that range will be blocked.

2. Automatically Unpublish Comments after X Reports or Y Downvotes
This would help automatically hiding bad comments. So when a comments reaches a X amount of Report Count, or a Y amount of Downvotes, it will be automatically considered spam and automatically unpublished.
Maybe you could have 2 settings for this to determine how many Reports or Downvotes a comment needs before becoming unpublished.
Even Google suggests this: "One option is to temporarily remove a post that has crossed a threshold of spam reports until it has been manually reviewed."

3. Backend Comments Manager: Filter/Order by Reported Comments
It would be great if you could add the ability in the "Comments Manager" to filter by Reported Comments (where Report Count > 1), or to at least order by "Report Count". This will make it easier to find Reported Comments, to select them all and delete them.

4. Backend Comments Manager: Filter by Author / IP
It would be great if you could add the ability in the "Comments Manager" to filter comments by Author (User or Guest) and by IP. This will make it easier to find all comments by a certain author or a certain IP, to select them all and delete them. 
The filter could be done by simply clicking on the Author name or by clicking on the IP (under the "Details" column). Make the Author and IP address clickable :)

Let me know what you think about these improvements and if you can implement them.

Thanks!

11 replies

JLexArt
@Andy Thanks for your feedback. I just moved topic to Features Suggestion category. I will consider these suggestion in the future ;).

Best regards,
Victor Nguyen.
AndySDH
Hello,
Any update on these features? :)

Feature #1 is very important because I have a user with variable IP that keeps coming back to spam...

Let me know
Thanks
@JLexArt is wrote at 2021-06-29 07:41:50
@Andy Thanks for your feedback. I just moved topic to [b]Features Suggestion[/b] category. I will consider these suggestion in the future ;). Best regards, Victor Nguyen.
JLexArt
Hello Andy,
We are currently in the process of updating other apps - Long time no update. We will try to update JLex Comment as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Victor Nguyen.
@AndySDH is wrote at 2021-07-15 10:18:56
Hello, Any update on these features? :) Feature #1 is very important because I have a user with variable IP that keeps coming back to spam... Let me know Thanks
AndySDH
Hey there, any news on these updates? :)
@JLexArt is wrote at 2021-07-16 00:28:36
Hello Andy, We are currently in the process of updating other apps - Long time no update. We will try to update JLex Comment as soon as possible. Best regards, Victor Nguyen.
JLexArt
@Andy, I added these features to new version. I'm still adding features from some other customers. I can only assure you that the update will be available this month :D

Best regards,
Victor Nguyen.
@AndySDH is wrote at 2021-08-16 12:40:09
Hey there, any news on these updates? :)
AndySDH
Great! :)
@JLexArt is wrote at 2021-08-17 02:05:53
@Andy, I added these features to new version. I'm still adding features from some other customers. I can only assure you that the update will be available this month :D Best regards, Victor Nguyen.
AndySDH
Hey there, thanks a lot for adding these features in the latest version! Very useful features! :)

One question:

I see "Task Command" under "Unpublish Comments after X Reports/Downvotes".

Does it mean that I need to do a Cron Job in order for this to happen? It doesn't happen automatically when the comment reaches that X amount of reports/downvotes?

Thanks for the clarification!
@JLexArt is wrote at 2021-08-17 02:05:53
@Andy, I added these features to new version. I'm still adding features from some other customers. I can only assure you that the update will be available this month :D Best regards, Victor Nguyen.
JLexArt
Yes, you need add cronjob command to your hosting. In some cases, the user may click by mistake or change their mind, so I think doing it right away is not a good solution. The cronjob is better ;)

Best regards,
Victor Nguyen.
@AndySDH is wrote at 2021-09-18 18:10:31
Hey there, thanks a lot for adding these features in the latest version! Very useful features! :) One question: I see "Task Command" under "Unpublish Comments after X Reports/Downvotes". Does it mean that I need to do a Cron Job in order for this to happen? It doesn't happen automatically when the comment reaches that X amount of reports/downvotes? Thanks for the clarification!
AndySDH
Makes sense, thank you!
@JLexArt is wrote at 2021-09-20 08:18:33
Yes, you need add cronjob command to your hosting. In some cases, the user may click by mistake or change their mind, so I think doing it right away is not a good solution. The cronjob is better ;).  Best regards, Victor Nguyen.
AndySDH
Hello,
I wanted to report that the ban by IP range with the * doesn't work well. It seems to work only for the last segment of the IP

If the IP is this:

And you want to ban the whole IP range:
39.42.147.* => This will work (with the dot)
39.42.147 => This will not work (without the dot)
39.42.* => This will not work

Can you look into it? Thanks!
@AndySDH is wrote at 2021-08-18 07:01:37
Great! :)
Reply to

Sign in to your account

Use your social accounts to sign in